June 17, 2011 ? June 25, 2011
Please join the Fair World Project (FWP) and Maggie?s Organics to explore the promise and challenges to Fair Trade in Nicaragua. Join FWP on our inaugural tour to Nicaragua where together you will learn from the growers, the workers, and the families what their lives and working conditions. As the second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, and one of the most beautiful as well, Nicaragua provides a clear window into the stark distinctions between Fair Trade and so-called ?Free Trade.?
FWP Tours provide a unique opportunity to visit projects, businesses and organizations to expand and deepen your understanding of Fair Trade, from the producer to the consumer. Tour participants will have the opportunity to meet with farmers, cooperative members and artisans and learn firsthand the realities of Fair Trade.
FWP tours offer participants the opportunity to build personal connections with producers by creating a rich environment for mutual learning and exchange. Our tours are fantastic opportunities to network with other Fair Trade professionals and supporters. ?Facilitated by leaders in the Fair Trade movement, participants can expect enriching conversations and experiences that address the complexities of ?Free Trade Agreements,? cultural diversity, human rights and fair trade certification and standards.
- San Augustin and Malpaisillo, women’s agricultural cooperatives
- El Porvenir Coffee Cooperative, see how opposing sides in the civil war are working side by side today
- Esperanza en Accion, a fair trade craft cooperative
- Ginning and Spinning Coops
- Managua, Granada, Leon Cultural tours
- Relax in beautiful Laguna de Apoyo
- Double-room accommodations; on-ground transportation including airport pick-up and drop-off
- Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner).
- Translation and program activities
- Preparatory reading materials
- NOT INCLUDED: airfare, airport departure taxes, lunches, tips, and personal expenses. Single rooms are available for an additional $200.
How to Register:
Register online and pay a non-refundable deposit of $400 by April 1st.
Contact Ryan (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about this trip, or call toll-free 800-631-9980.