The Fair World Project’s mission is to promote organic and fair trade practices and transparent third-party certification of producers, manufacturers and products, both here and abroad. Through consumer education and advocacy, FWP supports dedicated fair trade producers and brands, and insists on integrity in use of the term “fair trade” in certification, labeling and marketing.
- To educate consumers, retailers, manufacturers and marketers regarding:
- the standards, criteria and possible fair-washing behind fair trade claims on products they produce, sell and/or consume.
- fair trade certifiers and membership organizations
- the importance of fair trade not only in the developing world but also in the developed world.
- To pressure companies to adopt fair trade criteria and invest in certifying their major supply chains as fair trade
- Promote fair trade certifications and memberships
- Promote dedicated fair trade companies and brands
- Encourage honesty and transparency within the fair trade movement and to help foster open relationships with fair trade organizations, retailers, manufacturers and wholesalers
- Safeguard the integrity of the term “fair trade” through assessing and grading fair trade certifications in the marketplace and aggressively calling out fair-washing. Both in terms of ensuring that a given project/ingredient is certified by a competent certifier to a rigorous standard; and in ensuring that labeling and marketing of fair trade products and ingredients is controlled to consumers, especially that certified fair trade ingredients are not conflated with non-fair trade ingredients in a multi-ingredient product; fair trade products are not conflated with an otherwise largely non-fair trade brand; and a fair trade brand is not conflated with an otherwise largely non-fair trade parent company.
- Mount campaigns against fair-washers to live up to or control their marketing
- FWP will produce a printed semi-annual publication which will be distributed through various distribution channels throughout the country. If you are interested in receiving these publications for your retail outlet please send an email to: email@example.com
- FWP will exhibit and speak at retail and consumer events