Mission and Goals
Fair World Project (FWP) educates and advocates for a just global economy where:
- people are treated fairly with dignity;
- the environment is respected and nourished;
- commerce fosters sustainable livelihoods and communities in a global society based on cooperation and solidarity;
- fair market opportunities and fair government and trade policy defend, and support the contributions of farmers, workers, and artisans to our global society;
- marketing claims have integrity and promote throughout entire supply chains, and support dedicated brands that put people before profits.
- To contribute to the movement to build a just economy that benefits and empowers all people especially those traditionally marginalized in our current system, including family-scale farmers, small-scale artisans, and food and apparel workers
- To educate consumers, retailers, manufacturers and marketers regarding:
- The standards, criteria, and possible fair-washing behind claims of fairness and justice on products they produce, sell and/or consume, including understanding the benefits and limitations of third-party verifications.
- The ways government and international trade policies support or inhibit a just economy.
- Key issues, theories, initiatives, policies, and campaigns related to fair trade, family-scale farmers globally, labor justice, sweat-free apparel, and trade and agriculture policy
- To pressure companies to: improve sourcing and labor practices by obtaining fair trade, fair labor or other appropriate certification for major supply chains; make only authentic ecosocial market claims; and support public policies that benefit small-scale producers and workers
- To promote certification labels, membership organizations, companies, and brands that further progress toward a just economy
- To facilitate dialogue among and between movements working towards a just economy
- To advocate for a better world by: educating and inspiring individuals and organizations through our twice-yearly free publication; providing educational resources and workshops for consumers, retailers, and brands; and collaborating with other organizations with similar values.